Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Jacksonville Personal Injury Attorney > Blog > Auto Accidents > What Should I Do After A Hit-And-Run Accident In Florida?

What Should I Do After A Hit-And-Run Accident In Florida?


Getting into a car accident is never a fun experience. It can be made all the worse if the other driver doesn’t stop after the collision as required by law. If the other driver doesn’t stop to exchange information, they may be charged with a crime in Florida. But in many cases, you may not be able to identify the offending vehicle. In this article, the Jacksonville personal injury attorneys will discuss how to recover damages after a hit-and-run accident.

Understanding hit-and-run accidents 

Most people involved in hit-and-run accidents won’t remember the license plate number of the vehicle that struck them. In those cases, the claim is processed the same way it would be if the driver was uninsured. You would file a claim on your uninsured driver’s insurance policy to recover damages related to your injuries. If you don’t carry uninsured or underinsured insurance, you may be out of luck.

What should I do after a hit-and-run accident? 

  • Seek medical attention – You will want to seek medical attention after an accident to ensure that you are okay. You also want to preserve the integrity of your claim. So, seeking medical attention after a hit-and-run accident is your top priority.
  • Gather information – If you can, you will want to remember as much as you can about the vehicle that struck you. In many cases, you may not be able to remember much due to the shock of the accident. You will want to remember elements such as the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number, and more. In many cases, the driver may not have insurance anyway which is why they fled from the accident.
  • Contact the police – Fleeing the scene of an accident is considered a crime in Florida. Drivers can face hefty fines and license suspensions if they don’t stop to exchange information. A copy of a police report can also be pivotal in filing an uninsured accident claim with your insurance company.
  • Talk to your insurance company – You will want to notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Failure to report an accident within 30 days of its occurrence could void any legal claim you have for compensation in the future. Your policy can cover you for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
  • Talk to a hit-and-run accident attorney – At Gillette Law, we help motorists recover damages from insurance companies. Often, we can secure a much larger settlement than the one offered by the insurance company. Insurance companies don’t want to pay. They’re forced to pay by law. In these cases, having an attorney manage your claim results in a bigger pay day from the insurance company.

Talk to a Jacksonville Hit-and-Run Accident Attorney Today 

The Jacksonville hit-and-run accident attorneys at Gillette Law represent the interests of injured parties in uninsured motorist claims. Call our office today to schedule a free consultation, and we can begin paving your path to recovery immediately.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn