Can a Slip and Fall Cause Serious Injury?
While most people do not think of slip and fall as a source of serious injury, it can be. Severe complications and even death can result from a fall. When dangerous premises lead to a harmful accident, a Jacksonville slip and fall attorney can investigate and help you evaluate the prospects of pursuing a lawsuit.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that the elderly are most at risk for severe injuries caused by slip and fall accidents, Serious injuries often include hip fractures, head injury, spinal cord injuries and, in some cases, early death. CDC statistics show the following:
- Falls are the leading cause of injury death for adults aged 65 or older
- In 2010, hospitals treated 2.3 million nonfatal fall injuries in emergency rooms
- More than 662,000 or the nonfatal fall injuries resulted in hospitalization
- Falls are the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries
- Most adult fractures result from falls
- Within the past decade, death rates among the elderly from falls rose sharply
- Falls cause over 95 percent of hip fractures
Any fall injury that requires hospitalization is serious, and when dangers were present that caused the fall such as poorly lit stairwells, loose steps, or broken handrails, the property owner may be liable for damages. A premises liability lawyer in Jacksonville can investigate the injury to determine whether the property owner knew about the hazard and failed to repair it within a reasonable amount of time.
At the Gillette Law Firm we have the skills and experience necessary to devise effective case strategies and hold negligent parties accountable in premises liability cases.