Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Gillette Law, P.A. Your recovery is my goal
  • Call us Today!
  • ~
  • Free Consultation

Jacksonville Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Attorney

What to do if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured

When you have been in a car crash involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it is important to talk to an experienced uninsured and underinsured motorist lawyer. Jacksonville personal injury attorney Charles J. Gillette, Jr. can assist you with seeking compensation through your car insurance policy’s bodily injury (B.I.), personal injury protection (P.I.P.) or Medical Payment (Med Pay) provisions. To secure your right to compensation, you should:

  • Notify your own insurance carrier of the accident as soon as possible. If you read the fine print in your auto insurance policy, you will notice a provision stating that failure to report an auto accident within 30 to 60 days after an accident could void your legal claim to recovery.

  • Understand the limitations of your own insurance coverage. Depending on whether you have elected stackable or nonstacking UM or UIM coverage, the amount owed by the at-fault driver and the amount owed by your own insurance policy may vary greatly.

  • Explore the alternative avenues of recovery available to you as an injured motorist. Even if you do not have B.I., P.I.P. or Med Pay protection, there are other avenues of recovery that may be available to you. Contact the auto insurance lawyers at Gillette Law, P.A. today to discuss these reimbursement alternatives.

Understanding the differences between Georgia and Florida state laws

Florida law requires drivers to carry a minimal level of P.I.P. coverage in case the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured. So if you have been injured by an uninsured at-fault driver, your own auto insurance policy may compensate you partially for medical bills, loss of income, prescriptions and travel expenses to a medical facility. If you are a Florida resident who has elected Medical Payment Coverage (Med Pay), Jacksonville attorney Charlie Gillette can help you secure 100 percent repayment of medical bills up to the coverage limit.

Unlike Florida, Georgia law does not require licensed drivers to carry P.I.P. insurance coverage and/or Med Pay protection. While most drivers should have these types of protections to cover the costs of personal injuries sustained during an accident, some drivers do not – and it is often the injured victim who must then take additional steps to recover damages directly from the uninsured or underinsured motorist, if possible, or through another related insurance policy. We can help to explain the litigation alternatives.

Call today to schedule your free initial consultation

Gillette Law, P.A. is centrally located to serve clients in Florida and Georgia. The helpful professional staff is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and at other times by appointment. Contact us online or call us at 904-600-4758. If you are unable to visit one of our offices, we can meet with you in your home or hospital room. We offer a free initial consultation and work on a contingency fee basis, so you pay on a percentage basis only when we win your case.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation